Sunday, July 26, 2009

Run Away

A disabled man in a wheelchair on the street that I am on. He wheels past me. He has earphones in, but he looks around to make sure that everyone is watching. He wants attention. He sings in a loud and monotone voice "run away... run away...run away" The emphasis is on the 'run', more than on the 'away' that makes me think that what is he is singing is not really a dooms day directive but a wish, from his deepest well of desire that he could run. A wish that run was an activity in his repetoire. "Run" has more of a roll in the rrrrr and the nnnn lasts for awhile. The away is lost in the noise of his vocals and my mind can only think of the run. Rrrrrrunnnnnnn. When he sings this I feel embarrased and look away when his eyes near my vicinity. Rrrrrrrrunnnnnnn. I look at him when his head is turned. I look at his chair and the earphones in his ears. I think about his wish and I think about the blood pumping through my legs, the vitality I feel there and I feel guilty. I feel embarrased for the confession he has made in the rolling of his rrr's and the loudness of his voice. I lose sight of him as he wheels off down the street and my legs take me in another direction.

1 comment:

  1. You would flaunt your leg walking ability all over the joint wouldn't you! You able bodied demon you.

    ReplyDelete